Tuesday, December 21, 2010

"Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?" -Charlie Brown

First semester of college? Complete. Nothing beats days of no school, homework, or having to study. But something about this particular break brings me back to the reason why we have it. We have it because of Christmas. Which if you break it down Christ means well Jesus Christ and mas means more. So the season is really about More of Christ. I am going to quote a Relient K song here that has been stuck in my head all week, "I celebrate the day You were born to die, so that one day I would pray for You to save my life." The Bible always gets me a bit sentimental, but this particular story gets me sentimental more so than any other one. With God being our Heavenly Father that would make Jesus our Big Brother, so if you stop and think about it, our Big Brother left His place up in Heaven to come down and save our lives. That's an honor in itself.
In A Charlie Brown Christmas, one of Charlie Brown's lines was, "Isn't there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?" and Linus said it perfectly, he recited Luke 2:8-14:

"8 Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. 10 Then the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. 11 For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12 And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger.” 13 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying: 14 “ Glory to God in the highest,  And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”

I probably couldn't have said it any better myself. So as nice as the Christmas gifts, gatherings, food, music, and such are. They're not the reason why we celebrate Christmas. We celebrate it because the Son of God was brave and humble enough to come down to die for us so we can spend enternity with Him and that in itself is the best gift I've ever recieved. So this is what I am giving to Jesus this Christmas and it's already what I give Him on a day-to-day basis, my life because He did in fact save it.

Merry Christmas! Here's to the best Christmas ever until next year that is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment