Tuesday, December 14, 2010

2010 in Review: A Year Full of Opportunities.

It's that time of the year! Freshly cut pines or artifical trees are in our living rooms. We've pulled out the beanies, hats, gloves, scarves, and winter jackets. Hot chocolate, tea, apple cider, and coffee are slipping down our throats. Christmas music is blasting through our stereos. Stores are filled with people buying gifts for loved ones and friends. College students are cramming for and taking finals. The end of the fall semester is in arm length distance. Despite the stress, this is truly the most wonderful time of the year. Putting all of the stress of preperations of the holidays and college students cramming for finals aside, if you go back to the reality of why we celebrate this season. To celebrate the One who was born to die, so that one day we could pray that He could save our lives. I am so greatful for that One who was born to die, so that one day in the privacy of my room at the age of 12, he could save my life. This year has been full of many opportunities. So as I await for my next class, I'll share with you this Year in Review.

When we entered into 2010, I was struggling to finish high school and there were many times where I didn't think I'd make it through. The big highlights of this year are: the internship with Housing Group Fund, Graduation day, going on my first missions trip to Hollywood, California, once again attending City on the Hill, and starting a new life at Sacramento City College.

The internship with Housing Group Fund. The night before I was presented with this internship, God and I were having a conversation. Well actually, I think I was doing most of the talking. I remember saying, "I just need You to be my Daddy. I don't even know after all this time and after screwing up so much if you can even hear me. But please, Daddy, I need You!" The night of this conversation was on April 26, 2010. The next day an opportunity to intern at Housing Group Fund was presented to me by my mom. I started April 28, 2010. Just in the past 7.5 months, I have learned so much. They have given me so much office experience and have watched me basically grow up from then until now. I've seen hope of home ownership put back on people's faces. I have seen tears of absolute joy roll down people's faces because Housing Group Fund gave them a second chance. It's a bitter sweet feeling having tomorrow (December 15th) be my last day as their intern. I shared a lot of my growing up memories with them. It has been such a complete honor being there intern.

Graduation day. It's such a blur to me now, it feels like it happened 7 years ago, but it was only 7 months. On May 21, 2010 - I recieved that high school diploma. The day consisted of a rehersal, getting my hair done, running last minute errands, getting ready, and graduation. I remember sitting up that ever so hot stage with 32 other people for an ever so long time feeling ever so invincible. The joke of the week in my house was we wouldn't cry when we got up on that stage to give me my diploma. We can definetly can say that it backfired, we most definetly cried because we knew how far I've come. It was a good day in our family.

Missions trip to Hollywood/City on the Hill 2010 - Since they're blog entries about this below, I'll summerize. Hollywood was eye-opening, life changing, and I do believe a chunk of my heart is still there. The people that I met, the people who I saw, my heart broke. Most definetly made me feel so greatful for what I have. City on the Hill 2010 definetly life changing. Taught me not to plan something out for 6 months and expect it all to fall into place. But God taught me how to lean on Him not only when things are bad, but when things are good. Going to God only when your life falls apart was definetly what I did a lot of this year. Then it brought me to a sinus headache that brought me to my knees and said, "Okay God, You are my Daddy. Come please, just come and save me once again." That experience taught me that you can only give so much before you are completely empty.

A brand new life at Sacramento City College. I have to be honest, City College is a whole new world. Most definetly not what I was expecting. I will admit, I did take on too much this semester, never again will I take over 13 units unless I absolutely have to and even then I'll fight it. But it felt like mid semester, everything fell into place. God opened a door for me. After two weeks of saying, "God, I love my youth group, but I need something more. I am most definetly tired of being called a high schooler, considering the fact that I worked so hard to get that title off of my belt." After two weeks of praying, God opened the door for Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to walk into my life. I walked into my first Bible study on October 5th and was very hesitant on how I felt on the whole deal. However by the end of that first Bible study, I have never felt more like family in my life.

God has opened so many doors and opportunities for me since I graduated from high school and started college. Now as I am wrapping up my first semester of college, I am more prepared to take on the world, one step at a time. If you were to tell me this time last year or this time 6 months ago, or even on my graduation day that I would have grown this much, I don't think I'd believe you! In 2011, I am ready for more opportunities to come. Here's to passes all of our finals(aimed to my fellow college students readers); a great holiday season; and brand new year full of opportunities.

From me to you; Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment