Thursday, August 26, 2010

Here's to a New Life.

I think back to this time two years ago, I was not motivated at all. I was a sophomore in high school, just skating by doing the bare minimum to get by. Then I look at who I was just this time year. I was on a high from going to City on the Hill. I was much more motivated - I wanted ti graduate in 2010, not 2011. I remember all those late nights making my early graduation a reality. There were a lot of tears, a lot of coffee on those late nights, then there were a lot of dreams of receiving my high school diploma, then when it became a reality, when I was up on that stage, I knew I did a lot of growing in just a school year period. All it took was City on the Hill to change my view on life because right now, as I type this blog post out, I am sitting in the library of Sacramento City College. So now as I look out the window, I see my school's quad, I see a lot of trees, I see students here walking to classes, I see a future that is so bright, I see where I've come from, I see potentially where I am going. I met with a guy who just graduated from here this past spring, he was the student body president, and is now working for Students for Life, and is a junior at Liberty College, I am going to help him start and lead a pro-life group here on campus. Me? Out of all people, if it wasn't for City on the Hill, I'd be a senior in high school, struggling with what I was struggling just this time last year. A building block was formed by a woman named Karen England. She not only took good care of me with a headache just a month ago, she put on a youth leadership conference that changed my life, forever. So Karen, if you're reading this, I am forever indebted to you! You can't find many people who are willing to play at patient mock governor to a group of high schoolers who play a mock legislature. I couldn't ask for a better life. Yes it is full of challenges and mishaps, but it is so worth it when you step off lightrail and you are on campus two days a week and you can make a difference at the same time. Here's to a new life, full of challenges and mishaps, journeys and adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment