Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Impact.

On Saturday night, I watched a movie that just about changed my life. What movie? To Save a Life. If you haven't seen it yet, you should. It's a must see. It was a Christian movie basically telling you to love your neighbor as yourself. As I was watching this movie, I reflected back to my own life, and I realized that even though I can love my neighbor as I do myself. I can take one step further and do something most people my age, wouldn't necessarily do. I take light rail to school and when I am on during the week, so are a lot of business people and I was raised if someone older than you, by at least 5 years, walks into a place where there is seating you stand up and let that person sit down. Normally I do this, but it's not with a good heart. Yesterday as God is continuing to do an incredible work in me, this older gentleman got on the light rail, and it looked like he needed to sit down. So instead of obligation, I free willingly gave up my seat. The gentleman, "You really didn't have to do that for me." Me, "Sir, I totally don't mind, another seat will open up for me." And sure enough, at the next stop, another seat did open up for me. And at the following stop, 15 more seats opened up. I'll be totally candid, I did not want to give up my seat, my feet were killing me, I just wanted to sit down, clear my head before I went home and dived into a whole lot of homework, but I felt that urging in my heart to do so.

What's my point in all of this? It's simple. The act of kindness is a funny thing. Not everyone is naturally good at this, some people have to literally work at this. So my point, what's one seat on light rail or simply one smile as you walk down the street or across your work building or school campus? What's two more seconds at Starbucks or somewhere by just saying, "Have a great day!"? You have no idea the impact on someone's life that you have. You don't know what they're going through, maybe your simple smile or the simple line coming out of your mouth of "Have a great day!" Maybe that will change someone's life. So to you, have a great day!

Mark 12:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment